Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Wait, didn't we just have vacation.

Here in Massachusetts it is the start of April Vacation.  The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming, and the weather is warm.  A perfect time for the kids to have the week off from school, right?  Wrong!! (According to a dear friend of mine there is no perfect week for the kids to be off from school, and I usually don't disagree.)

Maybe I wouldn't mind April vacation if we didn't just have a week off seven weeks ago in February, and then seven weeks before that in December.  Plus in nine more weeks it will be two full months off.  Where does the insanity stop.

It is not that I don't like spending time with my kids because some of the time I actually do.  And I usually am fond of Summer Vacation because it means I get to catch up with my BFF that I don't see much the rest of the year due to crazy schedules (she has a pool, we practically live there in the summer).   It's just that how are we preparing are kids for the real world when they are out of school more than they are in it?

I know, I know, you are all saying I am evil and kids should be kids while they still can.  Well yes, I am evil and kids should have fun, but they need to learn that life is not all fun and games.  It can suck, a lot.  The sooner they learn that the better.  Perhaps then we wouldn't have so many kids coming out of college thinking they are entitled to a high paying job just because, well because.

Maybe I shouldn't be bitching because I actually am kid free this week.  My parents live in Vermont and they have the kids this week.  Plus I am a lunch lady at the school so I get the week off too.  Parrrrrtttttyyyyy!  Um no.  I will be working my other job all week, to make up for the week of pay I am losing out on at the school (heaven forbid the lunch ladies get paid vacations).  I think I would rather have a root canal.

Working school vacation week at the restaurant I work at is pure hell.  All the parents that had to take the week off are looking for things for their kids to do so they take them out to lunch.  I deal with more little buggers over vacation week then I do working at a school full of them.  Plus, these kids are with their parents and one thing I have learned is there are a lot of sucky parents out there.  At least at school the kids are fairly well behaved.  Kids out with their useless parents are nightmares.  They think they have the run off the place and can do what they want and the parents think they are getting a free babysitter out of the deal while they throw back the cocktails.

If I survive this week it will be a bloody miracle.  I might be popping some of my husband's Valium prescription to get through.  Just so I can do it all over again in June. 

11 comments:

  1. Ahhh, bless you! At least THIS mom would throw you an extra 5% or so if my children are unruly - BUT my children know that if they get the "look" from me - anything after that is going to suck for them - so they are well behaved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Mom agree wholeheartedly w/ Jenn :D On all counts. I was a waitress once, I KNOW how bad cleaning up after a family table can be. It's DISGUSTING! WHY do parents think it's ok to let their kids act like that?

      I also agree w/ you on the vacation bullshit, one after another. It's nice not to have to drive them all to school everyday, but I still have to go to work and they are bored out of their minds after about 3 days.

      Delete
    2. You ladies can come to my restaurant anytime!

      Delete
  2. My wife says the same thing, why are there so many vacations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kevin, it is crazy. They should combine February and April into one vacation and have it in March as a spring break..

      Delete
  3. I love this post!! We are in MA too, and having this week off - I agree. We JUST had one. We have lived in New England for about 4 years, but all the states we lived prior (FL, CA, PA, MD) - NONE had this many breaks during the school year. While I am happy I don't have to pack my kid's lunch for a week, I would give that up for them to be in school. by Wed - they will be lucky if they are all alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where in Massachusetts are you? I just don't get it. I have hear that other parts of the country have just one vacation in March.

      Delete
  4. I disagree only on the "getting to know life sucks" part. I think kids should be allowed to enjoy those first 18 years because that's the last time they get to be worry free.

    That said, I freakin hate when kids are out of school. Not my kids, they entertain themselves most of the time. It's the ones with sucky parents that think since they have to deal with the children that haven't taken the time to raise properly, those of us in retail should have to deal with them as well.

    If you don't like your kids, why would you subject the rest of the world to them? I really hate those parents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah.. I remember those days.. 4 kids.. Break after break after break.. I don't remember having that many breaks when I went to school. We had Thanksgiving, the short break, Christmas, Easter and Spring break and maybe Easter and Spring break were all one in the same. I don't know why the kids get so many breaks today. Aren't they required to have so many school days under their belt before they can go to the next grade?? Ugh. I'm just old I guess!

    As for unruly kids in public - NOT IT! - I was raised how to behave in public and I was taught manners and etiquitte. I passed those teachings onto my kids. No heathens at home. No heathens in public!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't seen any posts in a while, how are you, how's your hubby doing? Hope you're surviving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't honestly been in the mood to post. I have been working extra hours and am dead tired. Hopefully soon.

      Delete